17 Signs Of Mold Illness (And How To Tell If You’re At Risk)
Mold is a common problem that many people share. This kind of occurrence can be present in your house and can be causing numerous health issues.
It is very important to know the symptoms and who are most prone to it, in order to treat the issue and avoid adverse effects. According to the conventional medicine, it is not a problem, and it, therefore, offers no proper treatment. The symptoms can be easily mistaken with some other health problem and this makes it a very delicate subject.
The most common signs of mold illness are:
– Muscle cramping, aches and pains, joint pain without inflammatory arthritis, persistent nerve pain, “ice pick” pain.
– Light sensitivity, red eyes, and/or blurred vision
– Fatigue, weakness, post-exercise malaise and fatigue
– Night sweats or other problems with temperature regulation
– Metallic taste
– Numbness and tingling
– Sinus problems, cough, shortness of breath, air hunger, asthma-like symptoms
– Memory problems, brain fog, trouble with focus and executive function
– Persistent nerve pain
– Static “shocks”
– Abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, appetite changes
– Weight gain despite sufficient effort (weight loss resistance)
– Excessive thirst
– Increased urination
When you take a look of these conditions you can see how easily a problem with mold can be mistaken with other health issue.
First lets define what is mold. A mold or mould is a fungus that grows in the form of multicellular filaments called hyphae. In contrast, fungi that can adopt a single-celled growth habit are called yeasts.
What’s most intimidating in this situation is the fact that they can not be spotted by an naked eye. The surrounding that the molds feel most comfortable are in condition where is warm, damp, and humid. For example, in Nevada and Arizona in some places with poor ventilation, floods, or water leaks, even if they are dry.
Mold can grow in a places where you never though it can: bathroom, in the shower head, or in the corner near your shower, especially if the room is not well ventilated. It can eve attach to your shoes, pets, clothes, carpets, furniture, books, and papers. Mold can even circulate in the air, especially for people who rarely change their filters. HVAC filter need to be changed once every three months to avoid these kind of problems.
Water damaged buildings can be a victim of contaminants who also are in such of a complex formation where they effect the air and dust, the result of these occurrence can a toxic chemical mixture. Mold forms toxic compounds known as mycotoxins, which remain on spores and fragments of mold released into the air. The fact is that mold illness is not caused by a single toxin, but the cause is more due to the water-damaged area or building itself. The newest review also found sinuses to be a common reason for persistent mold illness.
Many people live in water damaged building, and many of them are effected by mold. People who are more prone to health problems and people who stay indoors more than usual need to learn how to reduce these harmful influence.
Mold toxicity falls under the larger category of biotoxin illness, also known as Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS).
Ritchie Shoemaker, MD, who is an author of Surviving Mold: Life in the Era of Dangerous Buildings and seven other great books, defines CIRS as: an acute and chronic, systemic inflammatory response acquired following exposure to the interior environment of a water-damaged building with resident toxigenic organisms, including, but not limited to fungi, bacteria, actinomycetes, and mycobacterium as well as inflammagens . . . .
Ritchie Shoemaker: 24 percent of people cannot make adequate antibody responses, and they’re the ones that comprise over 95 percent of people who have an illness from water-damaged buildings.
The next topic is, which is the role of your DNA in making you more or less susceptible to mold illness.
As stated by Dr. Shoemaker as well, around 24 percent of the population is genetically susceptible to mold toxicity, as they have an immune response gene (HLA-DR). These are the people who are most venerable of mold illness. This subgroup includes 95% of mold illness. There are type of people who occupy 2% of the population, specific about them is they have “sicker quicker” variation of these genes. It’s important to mention that if you are not vulnerable to mold illness there is a still a chance that you can suffer from it.
People who have mold vulnerability, these types of people fail to recognize specific toxins as toxins and these how the recirculation in the body. What happens after that the toxins lead to a inflammatory response.
Water-damaged buildings who have Mold, cause mold illness and can represent real health issue, it is an important fact to know that this condition doesn’t heal on its own and if it’s not treated it can cause various illnesses.
The illness is built into the DNA and once triggered, the inflammatory response and resulting symptoms can last for years.
This is a criteria which diagnosis of CIRS goes by:
– A genetic predisposition to biotoxin-related illness, on the basis of an identification of an HLA susceptible haplotype.
– History, signs, and symptoms consistent with biotoxin exposure. In cases of mold toxicity, history should include exposure to toxin-producing molds as documented by the EPA-approved ERMI test. In other cases (microcystin, ciguatera, etc.), history should include likely exposure or laboratory evidence of exposure.
– Abnormalities documented by Visual Contrast Sensitivity (VCS) tests.
– Biomarkers consistent with the neuroimmune, vascular, and endocrine abnormalities that characterize CIRS. If you have a history consistent with biotoxin exposure, a susceptible genotype, and an abnormal VCS test, you are very likely to show the laboratory abnormalities seen in CIRS.
Here is what you should do if you experience some symptoms and you think is mold illness.
– Learn much as possible about mold illness.
– Test your home for mold presence. There are actually people who work this, called environmental professional they will inspect your home, your office, or do an ERMI test. This test is not cheap and is around $325, but when it comes to your health don”t hesitate to call them.Also with some education and effort you can do it your self to.
– There is so called Shoemaker Protocol, which professionals are trained to examine your susceptibility to mold illness.
Source: Healthy Food House